The Upper Krishna Project
is the biggest Irrigation project in Karnataka covering the districts of Bijapur, Bagalkot, Yadgir and Raichur Districts. There will be rise in cases of Malaria as mosquito breeding places increases substantially. Eg: Swamps, marshes, edges of reservoir, paddy fields, borrow pits etc.,. In the process of creating infrastructure like Dams/ reservoirs, canal net works, ancillary structures and Hydro electrical power plant etc, the mosquito breeding places are created incidentally.
The Government of Karnataka has sanctioned 4 Anti Malaria Units for Upper Krishna Projects. Following are the 4 Anti Malaria Units:
- Almatti:- Connected to Bagalkot and Bijapur Districts.
- Narayanapur:- Connected to Yadgir and Raichur Districts.
- Kembavi:- Connected to Yadgir District.
- Bheemarayanagudi:- Connected to Yadgir District.
In addition, there are 6 Dispensaries located at Almatti, Narayanapur, Hunasagi, Krishnapur, Bheemarayanagudi and Chigaralli each headed by a Medical Officer looking after out patients of the area.
All these Anti Malaria Units and Dispensaries are controlled by the Senior Health Officer, Class-I, KBJNL, Almatti..
All these Anti Malaria Units cover totally 252 villages covering population of 3,41,578.
Following Anti Malaria activities are carried out:-
- EDPT( Early detection and prompt treatment).
- Vector ( Mosquito) Control measures.
- Carrying out of surveillance studies.
- Identification of mosquitogenic condition.
- Minor Engineering measures.
- Health Education.
- Inter Departmental Co-Ordination.